Cameo Simulation Toolkit® is bundled part of the Cameo Systems Modeler® Enterprise Edition, and is available as a separate plugin for the Cameo Systems Modeler Architect Edition or MagicDraw® UML. Amongst other things, it will enable you to execute SysML Parametrics constraint mathematics calculations, and simulate and animate StateMachines and Activity Diagrams.
I absolutely do recommend that you invest in Cameo Simulation Toolkit® as it will help take your Unified Modeling Language (UML®) and Systems Modeling Language (SysML®) to the next level. Simulate and calculate as much as possible as you go to develop more robust models!Cameo Simulation Toolkit® is an execution framework plugin for MagicDraw® UML, the MagicDraw SysML Plugin, and Cameo Systems Modeler® that is mostly based on (but has evolved slightly from) the OMG fUML and W3C SCXML standards. It can be used with most (but not quite all) notations for Unified Modeling Language (UML®) and Systems Modeling Language (SysML®).
Please note the following carefully:
- The product name including the word ‘Cameo’ can easily be misunderstood as implying it can simulate everything in SysML (because Cameo Systems Modeler® is “SysML-based”). It can simulate quite a lot but not all of SysML.
- It uses a vendor-specific variation on (the older) ’Semantics of a Foundational Subset for Executable UML Models (fUML®) Version 1.3’, and in fact goes far beyond fUML®.
- As of Jun 2020 the current fUML® version is 1.4; fUML is a subset only, it does not (and is not intended to) cover all of UML-2.5.1
- Cameo Simulation Toolkit® DOES NOT directly use the fUML-RI reference implementation!
- Cameo Simulation Toolkit® DOES NOT implement everything fUML covers (most notably AcceptCallAction and ReplyAction)
- Cameo Simulation Toolkit® DOES however implement many things (such as Property::defaultValue in many cases) that fUML does not cover.
- Cameo Simulation Toolkit 19SP3 SUPPORTS (at least partially) State Chart XML (SCXML) the State Machine Notation for Control Abstraction
Webel IT is developing list of mini and full tutorial videos that show exactly what does and does not work, such as this detailed tutorial video on Activities and StateCharts. See also the linked videos below.
If you are going to work with UML/SysML simulation it is strongly recommended you look into the Alf Plugin
Some tutorials and videos showing Cameo Simulation Toolkit in action
NEWS: New full length feature: TRAIL: A SysML Pattern for Digital Twinning
NEWS: New mini tutorial: TRAIL: HOWTO simulate Dependency Injection of SysML Parametric calculations
HOWTO simulate UML-2.5.1 'Figure 14.7 Composite State with two States' in Cameo Simulation Toolkit - Operation-driven Transition case study
UML/SysML: HOWTO Consume a SignalEvent message in a StateMachine Transition 'effect' or State 'entry' or 'exit' Activity
TRAIL: SysML: Simple model of an air conditioner with a refrigerant cycle and StateMachine driven by Activities in MagicDraw/Cameo
Screencast: The Webel Digital Twin Pattern for SysML: Part 1: Simulating acquisition or creation of physical assets using Activities and StateMachines in Cameo Simulation Toolkit.
Screencast: UML/SysML: HOWTO Consume a SignalEvent message in a StateMachine Transition 'effect' or State 'entry' or 'exit' Activity
Screencast: UML/SysML StateMachines: How a completion transition works (and why you should avoid them)
SysML does NOT distinguish between 'assembly' and 'delegation' Connector kinds (because of its more complex support for nested ports). These Connector type classifications are only relevant in UML.
Screencast: Tutorial: UML/SysML: StateMachines vs Activities: Operation-driven Transition case study - UML-2.5.1 'Figure 14.7 Composite State with two States' in Cameo Simulation Toolkit
Screencast: Mini tutorial: UML/SysML: Cameo Simulation Toolkit: Send and receive a Signal using a SendSignalAction and an AcceptEventAction
Screencast: Mini tutorial: UML/SysML: Cameo Simulation Toolkit: StateMachine with doActivity and a Transition with a ChangeEvent trigger
Screencast: Mini tutorial: UML/SysML: Cameo Simulation Toolkit: StateMachine with entry Activity and Transition guard
Search the MagicDraw and Cameo tip and feature Note pages.
DISCLAIMER: Webel IT Australia does not represent No Magic or Dassault Systèmes - the developers of the MagicDraw® UML, MagicDraw SysML Plugin, Cameo Systems Modeler®, and Cameo Simulation Toolkit® tools. Webel IT Australia offers IT Training Courses in UML® and SysML® and in expert use of these supporting tools. Please refer sales and technical support questions to No Magic.